Sunday 21 June 2020

Day 7 - 172 -- Changes All Around

Temperatures dropped overnight to be cooler but seasonal. Open windows helped some of the breeze cool inside the house. Thankfully, the air is drier today. I ran a couple of errands in the afternoon. One worked and one was closed even though the lights were on and the 'open'sign was lit. Just odd. I will try that one again next week.

Back at home, some household chores were done, but much as I tried the 'to do' list items did not get the attention needed. I woke earlier than usual today and awake later last night -- a combo that made me very weary by mid-afternoon. So, impetus to work on items that need to be done and ones that I'd like to do, just wasn't there. So, again there is more to push into tomorrow. With cooler, drier air, I should sleep better than the past two nights. The forecast indicates that I should sleep while I can since the coming week will be hot and humid right into next weekend. <sigh>  Guess, I need to be prepared. <smile>

Yesterday, I read about research from Carleton University that dealt with procrastination. Findings indicated that it is not necessarily a marker of laziness, but instead an outcome of emotional conflict with the tasks involved. Some seem so huge they intimidate the individual. Knowing that much emotional energy may be involved in a task causes people to avoid starting them. In terms of strategies to deal with such tasks, researchers noted that one should determine what the first step needs to be and move to it. This avoids trying to work through the many steps needed to get to the end point. and feeling panicky. I recall speaking to students often about a story I read years ago. A boy in about grade 5 was overwhelmed with a school project. When he explained the need to write a report on the birds of North America and not knowing how to begin, his father simply said, "focus on one bird at a time." Perhaps once again, I've encountered the need to take my own advice <smile>. I tried this yesterday with an item that needed to be redone and would involve arguing with software, I was certain. I looked at where I needed to be to start and stepped into the process, trying to focus on one step at a time. It did get completed. Today the tiredness seemed to interfere with trying this thought process again. New approaches require practice, so I won't think of today's inaction on some fronts  as a failure

Early this evening (in Atlantic Time zone), summer began. Since this season brings smiles to many, particularly if it isn't too hot or humid <smile>, an uplifting song about summer seemed appropriate for the blog. This one was written by Andy Partridge of XTC. These lyrics note summer activities and that such memories can bring summer along at any point in the year. Stay safe. Enjoy!

You Bring the Summer -- The Monkees




No comments:

Post a Comment