Saturday 13 March 2021

Day 8 - 72 -- Day of Questions

After a calm overnight, major wind returned early in the day. Colder temperatures also arrived, which led to small flurries in the air -- possible sea effect snow. By sunset, the winds diminished a bit. My day was an ordinary Saturday mainly -- weekly  household chores underway.   

Hearing of people I care about getting vaccinated always brings a shout of joy and happy tears. Some have completed both doses and others have had their first dose. Many others are waiting in virtual lines or literally at a venue. This all brings hope. Anxiety enters the mix, too. Questions arise about when all of our turns will be even when I know locally these will be sooner than expected a week ago. 

I attended an online play this evening. The audience joined via Vimeo and the cast appeared as Zoom meetings and side rooms. I've been to two plays where the audience joins via Zoom and the one or two actors live stream the event. In that format, the actors get to see the audience in the Zoom display. Tonight, the audience was not visible, but could interact with each other via the chat window. I'm not sure how actors who can't see the audience feel about a performance. When I do a classroom or conference presentation virtually, not seeing the audience can be problematic. I'm not sure what they are getting or what may need further explanation. I usually get all of that plus a read on the energy level or engagement of the audience from seeing them -- even in a room of several hundred. Not seeing them often leaves me a bit 'lost'. 

When thinking of my day, I realized that several questions surfaced like those noted here -- When will we all be vaccinated? and How do actors and educators get feedback from audiences they can't see? And there were a whole lot more as I wandered through the day <smile>. That and the weather brought a song of quetions to mind. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

Blowing in the wind -- Peter, Paul and Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment