Saturday 12 November 2022

9-315 (11/11/22) -- Focus on Remembrance

I watched the cermonies from the National War Memorial, where I learned Canada celebrates on the day of the armistice more than any other country in the Commonwealth. The crowd in Ottawa was the first larger crowd since 2019. It was nice to see people out, but nly a few were masked -- despie a recent survey noting that 70% of people would be in favour of a mask mandate for indoor public spaces. Interesting. When outside and crammed together in a crowd, it is like being in close quarters indoors. 

I did some editing work using a new-to-me editing platform. It has some quirks compared to the basic office suite individual editing process, but I think I got things down to the point tha others will understand what I was suggesting <smile>. 

Later in the afternoon, I went for a wlak just before sunset. It was cooler, but pleasant --about 12C (54F). A few clouds and patches of blue sky prevailed today. It will get cloudier overnight and be grey and rainy with some wind tomorrow. The Canadian Hurricane Centre made its last update this afternoon and now condsider this a fall storm. I'll still make some small preparations in case we need to leave or lose power for a bit. While walking I pondered the service of relatives and friends from WWI to the second Gulf War. to Peacekeeping missions to reservist, firefighting and policing work.  I also thought of my research work that looks at dietetics in the Crimean War (mid-1850s) and the US Civil War (1860s). The latter included the two dietitians who founded the national dietetic association and served in WWI and WWII. Life in service is challenging in combat or peace time. It is also appreciated. 

I chose to share a song from a more recent conflict. It was written in response to the 2006 death of Cpt. Nichola Goddard while serving in Afghanistan. She was from this little town as are the band who co-wrote and performed the song. The stretch of highway referred to in the song and shown in the video was between CFB Trenton and downtown Toronto. Keep safe. Enjoy!  

Highway of Heroes -- The Trews



No comments:

Post a Comment