Thursday 17 November 2022

9-321 (17/11/22) -- Belonging

A later start happened this morninng due to paving crews blocking the dirveway. They were patching the area they dug up a few weeks ago that needed access to the sewer and water pipes. I modified the errand list. One stop at the pharmacy and then onto campus to speak with the Help Desk about the need for a new laptop camera. I had left a message a month ago noting that the tech fix did not work for more than a minute. There is no record of that message in the system. I have no idea why, but the desk assistant added the information to the ticket number. They did get the satisfaction survey comments that I sent two weeks ago -- mpt certain why that was part of the file and my comments were not.  I then went to discuss potential search strategies and spaces for online archives that fit the history research project. That felt good. I had reached a dead end. Today I have new places to continue the search. It felt so good to get back into this search process. 

As I walked across campus this afternoon, I noticed a familiar feeling. Ever since I was an undergraduate student, when I set foot on a campus I'm filled with many positive feelings. There is an inherent level of comfort to be in that space. The sense of possibility and potential is overwhelming. The feeling of acceptace makes the space feel comforting and welcoming. I've often said it felt like home. It makes me relax and smile. Today I tried to parse the positive feelings more finely. More pondering on this one will help to clarify the myriad senstions and feelings. It isn't nostalgia, since this feeling happens on any campus I've visited even if it is a first trip. 

The chorus from a song written by Randy Newman came to mind as I pondered today. While the lyrics were written from the viewpoint of a romantic partner, if one were to think of a place as an entity -- personify the place -- the words take on a different perspective of home. There are many wonderful covers of this song, so choosing wasn't easy. Hope you like this one. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Feels Like Home -- Bonnie Raitt





No comments:

Post a Comment