Saturday 26 November 2022

9-329 (25/11/22) -- Among the Crowd

The day began with sun and light cloud. As the aftetnoon wore on, the clouds took over the sky. The town and county planned an event for Christmas season on Main Street. By the time the sun went down, the wind had abated, so I chose to take a walk and end up on Main to see what was up. Stores were open late -- not usual downtown except on Thursday. Temperatures were around the freezing mark. By the time the hour-long concert by Heather Rankin began, there was a small but respectible sized crown around the stage set up in the middle of the street. This is the first time this type of celebration has happened. I stood and listened for a while and then headed home to make dinner. A warm bath helped me to warm up, too. <smile> 

For some reason, I felt alone while out tonight. That is not common in such situations, so I was a bit surprised by the emotion. It wasn't overwhelming and may have been triggered by a song written during Christmas 2020 when families were separated and unable to celebrate in the same room. That was a tough time for us all. Things are different this year, but flu has become a key worry. I noticed both in stores in in the crowd outside, I was the only one with a mask on. Why? Everyone must feel safe, when many of them have been getting chest colds and influenza. RSV in small children has been a major epidemic. Masks make sense right now. I expected to see others, but I hunted and found none. Well, that is a bit of a lie. There was one woman using her right hand to hold a mask over her nose and mouth rather than using the ear straps. She used her left had to pick up items she wanted to purchase. I have no idea how she paid. So odd. 

A song lyric that discusses how masks can hide who we are was chosen to share tonight. I believe that masks not only can hide things, they can aslo proclaim one's beliefs -- much like my mask and the lack of a mask in others did tonight. Keep safe. Enjoy!

Make Me a Mask -- Fleetwood Mac






No comments:

Post a Comment