Friday 2 August 2024

11-210 (28/7/24) -- Inveterate List Maker

Major accomplishments for the day included getting the hummingbird feeder hung on patio; getting litter out of a giant box and into pails that I could carry; running to Shoppers for milk; folding laundry and then working on final formatting of manuscripts for submission -- one unblinded and one blinded along with a response to reviewer comments. I realized when I blinded the manuscript I had to remove the cover page with author names. As I finished it all, I suddenly realized that removing the title page changed the line numbers. Why an issue? The responses to reviewers referred to where in the document changes were made using the line numbers. So, I had to revisit all of those so they match the new line numbers. All got done and supper was late again tonight, but the revisions were submitted to the editors and are off my desk. Now we wait for the responses. 

It felt good to get one large item and several small things off my 'to do' list. The list becomes a parking lot more often than not. Someone asked why I made a weekend list. The weekend came when I was still working. The list was always overly ambitious. I thought about the question for a bit and said that it was likely the list was more aspirational than doable. I do think that if I put it on the list, I don't have to remember to do it. That frees the brain to deal with other things. It also plays to the anxiety I live with. If it is written down, I don't fret about it all night long. So, my list is a coping strategy of sorts <smile>. The list I made for the weekend is not for the week. This makes it more doable. So, in the end it is a wish list but something reasonable to complete in a finite time period. 

A song about a list came to mind. It might be impossibly pop, but that is what hit me today. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Kiss on my List -- Hall & Oates



songs about to do lists



No comments:

Post a Comment