Thursday 15 August 2024

11-228 (15/8/24) -- Heard & Seen

Today I'm revisiting customer service -- the need for businesses to show that one's custom is valued. I went to a business where I'd been about a month ago. At that time, I ran into some difficulties with the knowledge and communication skills -- well, the lack thereof -- of a front-facing employee. They told me the item needed would be in the following week. Three weeks later it arrived, but to get things installed would take a couple weeks to begin and might be a three hour event. Now, last month I was told it would be a quick fix -- about an hour at most. This week I was told it would be maybe two hours. I spoke to the the store manager about my frustration with this employee. I'd never been told the cost, though it was noted the ordered item wasn't very expensive. I had been about to ask further questions, when the data dump from the employee had been finished and they had turned to someone else and began another conversation. There were many phraseology issues, too. The business manager generally checks in to see how customers were treated. I like this process. At today's visit, she listened well and asked if I'd write it down for her. I wasn't sure I wanted to go that far. <smile> 

As I sat waiting for the installation process, I was working on the laptop. The general manager and the second in command each stopped by independently to see if I needed anything -- getting on the wifi, a cup of tea, or anything else. Interesting. Then the direct manager of the person I'd had difficulty with stopped by and sat while we had a chat. She explained the costs and noted that I was just past the end of warranty, which I had known. When all was finished, she asked that I use the item for a while to ensure the repair worked. So, in a week or so I will stop by and report on progress and pay the bill, which will be less than expected due to acknowledgement that we were so close to the warranty expiration. 

The supervisory person and the store manager went above and beyond for me this week. I have been a regular customer since I moved here 26 years ago last week. I've always had good service, except for one time during COVID when fewer people seemed to be doing multiple jobs <smile>. This week, I really felt like I'd been heard and seen, which was all I expected. I got so much more. 

A chorus lyric ran through my head as I pondered the events of this day. It made me smile. Keep safe. Enjoy. 


Keep the Customer Satisfied -- Simon & Garfunkel 


No comments:

Post a Comment