Saturday 24 August 2024

11-236 (23/8/24) -- Supply Interruption

The meeting we rescheduled yesterday for today has now been moved to later next week. I went out to the insurance office and found that I do have glass coverage. Food news. There is a deductible, but it is manageable given the cost of windshields now. Many of the electronic sensors for the fancy bells and whistles are embedded in the windshield glass. Interesting, eh? 

I returned home and while making lunch realized that I was out of bread. I thought I had another loaf in the freezer, but alas, that was not so. After a non-sandwich lunch, I headed out again to get some bread and a couple of other items from the grocery store, which is across the parking lot from the insurance office I was at earlier today. <sigh> Good news again that three items I wanted were in stock and one other was on sale. I'll take those as wins these days. 

The labour disputes with the two major rail lines in Canada could still interfere with supply chains. After the lockouts yesterday, the federal government chose binding arbitration to settle the disputes. Some items will still be moving slowly. The rail lines here carry about $1B in goods daily -- not an insignificant number.  Luckily, the windshield I need is in stock down the highway, so it will be here for replacement by middle of next week. We will see how things go over the coming days and hope that major shortages of essential goods don't occur -- like chlorine for safe drinking water. 

There are many train and railroad songs, but today a Canadian one fit best. The visual in the accompanying video are wonderful. The rail lines connected this wide country and helped the parts come together as a whole -- a new nation. Much history lies in the tracks that crisscross the country. Three generations of my family worked on the railway. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Canadian Railroad Trilogy -- Gordon Lightfoot



No comments:

Post a Comment