Monday 5 August 2024

11-218 (5/8/24) -- Day of Waste

I've had a quiet day. The heat and humidity continued today, though forecasters suggest this will abate by tomorrow. It will remain warm, just not crazy hot and humid. That holds until the tropical systems head this way. We see more of those storms in late August to early October. 

I'll admit that I spent the afternoon binge watching several episodes of an older television series. In between, I took breaks to do small household chores. This is the big week for curbside pickup -- garbage, compost bin, and recycling. The latter goes out every other week. So, I have four things to cart across the street. Recycling is done in two separate bags -- one for paper and one for plastics, glass and aluminum. This is one thing that makes me happy to live in this province. We have been doing curbside recycling pickup for many years. Garbage goes in a clear bag -- with the option for one small opaque bag for personal waste. This makes it more difficult to circumvent the sorting. Waste collectors can refuse to take bags with recycling or composting waste in a clear bag -- and will not take black bags at all. This has greatly reduced the amount of waste hitting landfills -- by one half or more. It took some time to get this process working as many folks chose not to be told how to throw out their trash. With time, though, things seemed to have settled. Granted, some people still refuse to sort, but they are in the minority now. 

While pondering the environmental benefits of the provincially legislated waste management, the first lines of a song came to mind and made me giggle. In fact, the full lyrics fit the chores I was trying to get myself to do today. Yet, I seemed prone to waste the time vegging in front of a screen <smile> Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Yakety Yak -- The Coasters



No comments:

Post a Comment