Sunday 11 August 2024

11-224 (11/8/24) -- Distractions Needed

Today was sunny and warm with blue skies and a few clouds. This weather boosted my spirits a bit. I spent the afternoon in the kitchen. I now have a large baked ziti in the fridge overnight just to let the flavours blend. A sweet and sour sauce for meatballs is in the freezer in small single serving containers. It felt good to do something productive. Laundry and cleaning are productive, but there isn't as much to show at the end of those tasks. <smile> 

Doing something creative can help reduce anxiety. These actions distract attention elsewhere. Of course, this doesn't diminish anxiety for long, but it helps one be able to breathe and relax muscles and such. Even a short term technique like this is valid. In order to work on longer term strategies, some of the high level days have to be reduced. Today I felt a bit more relaxed when cooking. The physical activity involved reduces anxiety levels.  Walking works better, but any activity is better at knocking back anxiety than a day vegging in front of the TV.  <smile> 

I share a song tonight that addresses the need to tame the beast aka anxiety. I'll admit that I dislike the tiger metaphor since I do love these persecuted animals. <sigh> though, the lyrics look at many distractions. One is most fitting to the night sky this weekend as the Perseids pass by us. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Taming the Tiger -- Joni Mitchell 



No comments:

Post a Comment