Thursday 15 August 2024

11-227 (14/8/24) -- Senseless Phrases

Today we had more topsoil being spread out back and between buildings. The expected completion date is early next week. The grass seed was hand spread between the buildings and today that was followed by a spray on seed product. The latter generally germinates within three or four days. Behind the houses, holes for trees are being prepared. The slope has been made steeper, so the water should run down into the drainage system. That remains to be seen. In the meantime, I will enjoy watching things grow. 

The virtual meeting today involved an update on organizational changes. I was struck by the repeated use of the phrase "a work in progress". It seemed to me to be one of those phrases meant to placate when there really isn't an answer to give. Isn't everything a work in progress? If anything is to move forward, it is progressing. So, when we use this phrase it could sound like a cop out. I dislike the phrase. It irritates me much like 'let's touch base'. These are just filler phrases that really have no specific meaning. The speaker doesn't have the answers to when or what is happening, so 'I don't know' is replaced with something without any specificity. 

I went for a walk after the meeting to help me relax a bit. I enjoyed looking at the flower beds and walking in the cooler breeze. It felt fresh due to reduced humidity. While contemplating the colloquial use of meaningless phrases, I realized a number of song lyrics use meaningless words. I thought of one from decades back -- never one of my favourites, but it makes the point today. <grin> Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Tutti Frutti -- Little Richard



No comments:

Post a Comment