Sunday 3 July 2022

9-183 (2/7/22) -- Rethinking Schedules

The day was cloudy and twilight-ish until just before sunset when a bit of blue appeared through the cloud cove. Not more than a few rain drops fell, though. I spent the day doing laundry and paying bills. I have a lengthy list of household chores and other tasks that should be done this weekend. I felt that the expectation of rain outside matched the expectation of work inside the house today -- much less than expected. <grin> Now, I'm sitting here catching up on blog postings. <smile> 

Managing expectations can be tricky. I've always made a long list of things to do over the weekend. It generally turns into a list for the next week. I understand that there are too many tasks to fit into the hours in each weekend day. A friend who has been retired longer than I have noted that expecting to do things on the weekend can add more pressure than necessary. They suggested that I relax a bit and do the tasks during the full seven day week as I get the chance. The freedom of not scheduling things was termed exhilarating. That does sound inviting, but I am afraid that if I don't schedule it, sweeping, cleaning and such might not get done -- mainly since they are things I dislike doing <grin>. I know other folks who do laundry when they get the motivation rather than doing it on a particular day. Housecleaning could be spread over the week with shorter time periods devoted to it on different days.  This is something that I will need to ponder more. Letting go of the schedule -- or at least a rigid one -- sounds very challenging but I may find a hybrid of my current practices and something else with time. 

The song line I heard in my head today fit this conversation well. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Heavy Cloud No Rain -- Sting




No comments:

Post a Comment