Saturday 23 July 2022

9-202 (21/7/22) -- Travelling Again

A heat advisory was put in place today due to expected high temps with high humidity for at least the next three days, but it may be closer to 5 or 6 looking at the long term forecast. It became smoking hot as a friend and I walked out for lunch. At the last minute, I chose to make a reservation inside to avoid over-heating on the patio today. 

Even a short visit with a friend from home felt wonderful. We haven't seen each other for almost four years. We had each planned to be in the respective provinces, but the pandemic changed those plans. We do chat by phone and get caught up on each other's lives, but sitting across the table from each other made me smile. Seeing people in person is so different than hearing a voice or seeing a face on a virtual platform. I know I've said that before many times, but each time I see someone in person, I'm struck by the truth in that statement. I expect that is part of the reason behind so many people travelling this summer -- more on airlines than during 2019. Hotels are booked solidly. Rental vehicles are fully booked and have been for several months. This is good from an economic and mental health standpoint. Long overdue trips to visit family and friends or to take the trips that were postponed due to COVID are underway. Perhaps others have realized the importance of seeing each other in person, too. I know today made a difference for me. 

A song came to mind today that dealt with flying. I know I've used this here before, but the lyrics are a great metaphor for getting used to travelling again with all its newness. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Learning to Fly -- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

 


No comments:

Post a Comment