Wednesday 13 July 2022

9-193 (12/7/22) -- Running Around

I spent most of the afternoon running errands at different places. I began on campus where I checked my mail site and visited with a friend and colleague. I also met the newest department member and we had a great talk. She is a former student and was in some of my early courses. It is so good to see former students return to work on campus. 

I then picked up a few needed grocery items. One thing on the list was actually in the store this visit. There were two in the frozen food section at the very back of the top shelf. I could see them if I took a step back and stood on my tiptoes. Needless to say, there was no way for me to reach them. I looked around and the one staff member in the area was very busy with another customer. There was a very tall man whom I know by name, but I wasn't feeling brave enough to ask this distant acquaintance to retrieve the things for me. So -- I will do without until they have them in stock again with boxes closer to the front of the shelf when I am there. Next, I went to have the wheels retorqued. I'm not driving much at present, so it takes time to get the requisite kilometers before this visit to the service department. 

The other planned stop involved attempting to get some gas into the car. I visited twice. Once on my way into the grocery store and one on my way out. The first time, I pulled into the one open bay with the pump on the correct side of the vehicle for filling. I went into the kiosk to put a limit on the credit card and was told by the clerk (new) that 'there is no 'regular'. I sounded a bit shocked when I repeated this. Thankfully the usual clerk heard the exchanged and clarified that that pump was broken and would not pump regular gas today. So, I said I'd be back soon. I got into my car, noting that the difficulty wasn't noted anywhere I could see. <sigh> There were two cars lined up behind me, so they had to move to other lines. When I returned, one other pump was open, but there were orange cones in the way, so that wasn't open at all. That left one other spot with a pump on the passenger side and there were 3 or 4  people using or waiting for that pump. I turned around and went home. Maybe tomorrow, things will be better. I may try an evening visit instead of late afternoon. 

On the next trip to the gas pumps, I will have to be more patient and just sit and wait. I needs to be the next trip since the dashboard shows only two bars before the big red E <smile>. I smiled when a song title came to mind on my way home today. I hope you get a smile, too. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Running on Empty -- Jackson Browne


 

No comments:

Post a Comment