Saturday 9 July 2022

9-190 (9/7/22) -- Ancient Games

I got up early for a Saturday. <smile> I took the boxes to the front porch and then headed over to Main Street for the Highland Games parade. It was fun to have this event. The Games were not held over the past two years, so the last time I was at a parade in town was three years ago in July 2019. There were a number of pipe and drum bands in the parade -- about 7, though I did lose track of counting. Some years more bands have attended from further away than the participants today, but those who marched today made me smile. There were a few floats and a number of vintage vehicles along with fire crews and equipment from the surrounding area. There was an ambulance that passed by before the street became full with the parade. During the parade, these go past on semi-parallel streets or the highway and then enter Main Street further down. Contingencies are in place for emergency vehicle passage, of course, but this is the first time that I've seen one. 

While standing and waiting for the parade to commence, I noticed something -- something that I'm sure I ignored in past years. The sound of the crowd was amazing. I haven't heard the buzz of people talking and laughing. They were lined up all along the street for several blocks. Since 2020 I haven't been anywhere with a large crowd of people waiting happily for an event to begin. I am not counting the two times I went through Pearson Airport in Toronto last fall. Those crowds were not as animated nor did they seem pleased with the prospect of waiting to get through security and customs <smile>. Hearing the crowd today was special.   

The most common song heard from the bands today is shared here. The video shows a massed bands at the opening of a Highland Games in Scotland. I love the massed bands event here which often is at the close of ancient heavy games, and the band and dance competitions. The one in the video begins with the song heard many times today. It ends oddly, so forgive them that <smile>. Note that there are eight drum majors -- one from each of the bands in the group. Many spectators join the band so it has it's own little parade group. <smile> Keep safe. Enjoy!

Scotland the Brave -- Massed Pipes and Drums (to open Ballater Highland Games, 2018)



No comments:

Post a Comment