Tuesday 23 April 2024

11- 113 (22/4/24) -- Overdoing It

 I drove for the first time since surgery. It felt good to get out in this way. I picked up a phone order in store and went to grocery store for four items. They only had three in stock. I will check when up this way tomorrow. 

I then went to Main Street for a couple errands. I walked to the library to print some forms for the tax return. I had parked at one end of Main and walked to the other end. I was very fatigued when I got there and would have had to sit down even if there wasn't a computer terminal open at a seated desk. I did much more than I should have. I find it interesting that what seems a smaller surgery still has full effects on the body. Taking it easy was recommended, but I thought I felt well enough to do a longer walk only to find I wasn't. Such is the story for most people who try to do something sooner than medical wisdom suggests. <sigh> Any recuperation involves multiple body systems. To heal one needs to build new cells which requires nutritional inputs such as protein, vitamins and such. The body is focused on healing as well as the usual daily maintenance, so can be a bit overwhelmed. That is why advice involves caution to avoid major physical activity for a while after treatment. So -- I should remind myself that this will take time and patience (not my strong suit <smile>).  

Once home I had a cup of tea and rested a bit watching a recorded show. As the evening wore on, I was full on sleepy earlier than usual. I did fall asleep before an evening virtual chat with a dear friend. It was a short chat, but still pleasant to see each other. 

My overdoing things today brought a couple lines of lyric to mind. The chorus of the daily selection made me think of how I tend to go further than I should at times -- like today <smile> Keep safe. Enjoy! 

I Go to Extremes -- Billy Joel



No comments:

Post a Comment