Monday 8 April 2024

11-99 (8/4/24) -- Totality

From the Google doodle wearing eclipse glasses to every news channel on the TV, it was all about the eclipse. We all have a new word to use in our vocabulary -- totality. <smile> We were not in the path of totality, but those not far away were in PEI and northern Cape Breton. I did not have special eyewear, so I spent the time inside the house with a cup of tea watching out the window. The shadows seemed more distinct. The light had the quality it has before sunset in the summer. As I sat there, I realized that less light was getting into the house. I had been reading the flyers in the kitchen and a few minutes later it was too dark to read. Had I spent the time outside, I wouldn't have really noticed much. The light was still bright, but not as bright as before or after the event. I will admit it was surprising to be in the dim light inside. We have big windows and lots of light except on cloudy days.  Many folks took time to view the eclipse partial or complete.  Meat Cove a fishing hamlet on the northern tip of Cape Breton was a place of total eclipse -- it consists of a few houses and a large wharf area where the fishing fleets moor between trips. There isn't a lot of room there or along the narrow two lane road from the highway down to the wharf. I haven't seen any news footage from there. Perhaps something will be on the late night news.  

I chose a song with a great line about the skyward event of the day. <smile> One line from the last half of the song has been in my head for the past few days as the news amped up over the potential to see the eclipse. If you listen closely to the chorus parts, you can pick up the voice of one of the backup singers -- Mick Jagger. Keep safe. Enjoy!

You're So Vain -- Carly Simon




You're so vain -- Carly Simon


No comments:

Post a Comment