Tuesday 30 April 2024

11-120 (29/4/24) -- Environmental Thoughts

Today I went to postal kiosk to mail the tax return -- in just under the wire. I then walked down Main Street to the bank to pay the taxes owing. Along the way there and back to the car, I walked by the town library to admire the magnolias. These white ones are just starting to unfurl. there are many fuzzy buds (like pussy willows) left to open in the next week or so. The large white one by the bank has more blooms than last week, though some have been scarred by the frost over the past few mornings. This left brown streaks on some blossoms. More buds remain unopened, so that will be with us for the next week, too. 

At home, I did some online catching-up with email and social media. I then organized the recycling, compostable waste and the bag that goes to landfill. I am happy to live somewhere where this is picked up at the curb weekly (recyling every other week and compost and garbage weekly). Very cool. It has diverted a large chunk of stuff that used to head to the landfill. We also are able to take bulkier items and excess cardboard or hazardous waste directly to the solid waste management facility outside of town. AS a province, we have done more than many others do to minimize landfill waste.

Having missed Earth Day in the blog last week, I dedicate the blog today to that day. I chose a song by a Canadian songwriter to share today. It was written in the 1970s and the singer-songwriter-lyricist has updated the lyrics to state 'in the 21st century'. I chose a cover with lovely harmonies from three gifted singers. Keep safe. Enjoy!

After the Gold Rush -- Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, & Linda Ronstadt 



No comments:

Post a Comment