Monday 3 October 2022

9-269 (26/9/22) -- Hopelessness Improves

Day three without power. It felt very much like being trapped in a dungeon-like place, plodding along in hopeless resignation. My friend and I headed into campus to charge ore devices at a building with full generator capacity.  The huge foyer and halls were filled with people of all ages doing the same thing. We took a power bar to facilitate faster charging. We found two chairs and sat reading and chatting while things powered up. After another wonderful meal prepared on the camping cook stove, we were doing dishes when the fridge beeped at us. My first thought was why is the fridge beeping? Then someone noticed the clock on the stove was blinking and almost in unison we said that the power was back on. What a wonderful feeling. Just shy of 70 hours. It isn't clear out the window if all of town is back on yet. I will see tomorrow if my power node is on, too. I hope son. 

I found that even when the power was on, I walked down the hall without turning on the light and I carried my small flashlight as I expected it to go away just as quickly as it had returned. We were all at the point of becoming disheartened and felt it might not come back on for days. We were able to access internet via a hot spot for short communications. Indoor camping was fun for the first day, but the shine was wearing off by day three <smile>. We rely on electricity for so much. Not seeing or hearing about damage around us created a lot of uncertainty and anxiousness. Getting daily news even just headlines helps, especially when a major event has occurred and people need to know what to do. We listened to radio newscasts, but even regional news did not say anything about our area. It was frustrating to say the least. 

A song ran through my head earlier today that I will share here. The early part of the song reflects the feelings from earlier in the day. Things had improved for me as the power returned <smile>. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Look Down -- Les Miserables 



No comments:

Post a Comment