Monday 3 October 2022

9-270 (27/9/22) -- Refocused Viewpoint

The power was back at the house, so the furry one and I came back home today around noon. I had to park about four houses up the street due to a fibre optic cable repair vehicle parked partly across my driveway. I was't upset since it was great that they were there to fix lines for the neighbouts. I walked slowly with bags as I unpacked. By the third trip it was spitting rain as I walked uphill to the car and by the time I got to the car it was pouring and my jeans were soaking wet. I chose to stay n the ar until I could see enough to drive back into the driveway since the cable folks had left. It was great to be in our own space again. The furry one was quite happy to with all 'his' stuff again <smile>. He quickly began to rearrange the packing paper trail on the kitchen floor. I unpacked things and made a quick sandwich. I sat down and turned on the television and fell asleep for several hours.  The stress of the storm, cleanup and having no power took a lot out of me, I guess. Once awake again, I had a hot shower -- heavenly -- and got into my own bed -- wonderful. 

Sitting in the car in pouring rain, I realized that I couldn't see well out the windows. That reminded me of our inability to be part of the communicating world -- at least as we usually would be. I still feel quite shell-shocked and expect that may last a while. Tears are just below the surface at all times. It is a matter of perspective I thought. With a slight wobble in any direction, the trees in my yard would have hit the house, neighbouring building and cemetery fence, but it didn't. The trees will be lost, but property was not part of the devastation. This is unlike people on my block and throughout town who will need new roofs, repairs to stabilize structures and fix vehicles, and have several more days to wait for power lines to be reattached to the houses. Further away, people lost homes that were swept into the ocean. Some lost family members. I know that comparison with others isn't always productive -- it can diminish perfectly valid feelings. So, I am trying to see the positives in the devastation and not focus solely on the losses. 

Lyrics of the song shared today remind me of what I've been pondering as I've been going through this major weather event and its aftermath. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Perspective -- Peter Gabriel





No comments:

Post a Comment