Tuesday 4 October 2022

9-272 (29/9/22) -- Finding Food

Today brought The Great Food Acquisition Challenge. I visited four stores with about six items from my list missing at the end of the day. Many shelves remain empty especially for perishable foods. I actually found more than I expected. In the evening, I cleared out the fridge and put things in a bag into the freezer. these will go out on next compost bin pick up day,  likely in two weeks.

I felt angry today. I still am exhausted even though I've been sleeping fairly well. It will take time, I expect. It may be a type of grief. I know others are in more severe situations from past and current storms. I've just never seen anything this bad. Shopping didn't create much frustration -- I was just too tired and thought if the line was long, I'd just sleep standing up <smile>. I felt more 'off' as the day went along. After supper, I did more cleaning and then had a shower. I then laid down for a bit. I don't deal well with uncertainty such as when the damaged trees will be removed. It will take time since those who do this professionally are going flat out these days. My yard isn't a priority at this point as things seem stable for now. Everywhere I go, there are piles of debris. It wears on one's mindset -- so very devastating. I heard an interview with a person working with new immigrant groups during this emergency situation. Many said they had been through war so understand the loss of power and telecommunications. In fact, many of them asked the workers how they were doing. I know I've thought of this as a war zone in appearance, but it has similarities in the visuals and lack of commodities. It also has many people helping others. 

When shopping today, there were many people just like me hunting for many items. I saw several others with long lists of necessary acquisitions. We all looked a bit dazed by the process, but kept moving forward to the next think on the list. It was rather quiet given the number of people in the stores. They spoke in hushed tones as they met someone and asked how they were doing after the storm. I share here the song title that came to mind as I wandered through the stores. 

Lost in the Supermarket -- The Clash



 

No comments:

Post a Comment