Tuesday 25 October 2022

9-297 (29/10/22) -- Pulling Together

Today was shopping day. I finally found some accessories for the new phone. The case is the only one I've seen and is plain black. I'm not sure I like it enough to keep it. We'll see. Very little was available online, either. <sigh> I got groceries, which I hadn't done for almost two weeks. Several needed items were on sale and some were items that I was replacing after the power outage. That helped, but the total owed at the register was more than I'd like it to be. I passed by things on the list with inflated prices -- including the store brands with the price freeze <sigh>. 

I know inflation is bad here, but it is lower than many other areas of the world. Some nations are dealing with levels two to four times what we experience here. Younger demographic groups may not have lived with high inflation, so this is new and scary for them. Those of us who have lived through inflation, investment losses and even recessions have much to offer to explain that life continues during and after such economic issues. I've taken advice from those who came before me and lived through the great depression. I have my grandmother's cookbooks and household management books for when items were scarce, rationed or just too pricey. These present a 'can do' attitude by showing how to stretch costlier food items and ways to substitute for foods or cleansers that weren't accessible. They were written by problem solvers. Things may feel bleak at times, but there are ways around difficulties. Pulling together as communities can ensure that everyone receives care. Mending small tears in linens and cllothes helps us to use what we have by repairing rather than replacing. When they can no longer be used for their original purpose, they can become cleaning cloths rather than landfill. Such actions also help the environment by reducing waste. Working together helps build community and can have positive impact on ecological concerns globally. 

While thinking about the current economic and environmental situations recently, several songs have come to mind. I chose one of these to share since it speaks to the need to pull together. Enjoy the hair and tight neans of the '80s. ;) Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Livin' on a Prayer -- Bon Jovi





No comments:

Post a Comment