Friday 7 October 2022

9-280 (7/10/22) -- Deconstructing Stresses

It has been a grey day with some very light rain interspersed with sunny breaks Temperatures were lovely and warm. I woke to the sound of a single chainsaw. Someone was working on the downed tree from the cemetery side of the fence -- alone. <sigh> I watched what the lone worker was doing and had the phone handy should a call to 9-1-1 be required. The step ladder used proved inadequate to reach many branches of the overhanging tree. It really needs someone with the correct equipment, training and insurance to deal with that one. <sigh>

Out front, a half-ton pulling a trailer stopped by late morning to pick up the debris left out by the street. The huge pile in front of my yard took two visits, each time filling the trailer. As I noted yesterday, this will be a huge job for the Town -- bigger than expected. 

Pondering conversations this week made me think more of the need to be kind to myself. I've been upset that I can't get things done that might make me feel more constructive or when I can't recall what I planned to search when I opened Google or why I walked into the other room. It seems so much worse recently. Yet, I was reminded that I had dealt with several stressful events by finding ways to remain calm, acknowledging and naming emotions, and stating what I needed to do. None of these is easy for me, but somehow I did it all without even recognizing I was doing it. <smile> As I continue to deal with the events, I realize that individually each happening would have been more manageable on its own, but a new stresser arrived before the previous one(s) had been managed. So, this means I am still deconstructing and understanding all events simultaneously. Sleep has improved since the storm, but with major tree removal still uncertain, some nights this week have been mainly disrupted sleep. The key to further management was understanding that all events are still swirling around in my brain. With time it will subside. 

In my conversations and ponderings this week, the thought of being kind to myself has crossed my mind. Doing this can be very challenging, but with assistance from other people one can change perspective. Today one of those friends reminded me of a song that fits the idea of practicing self compassion, while accepting help from those around us. It is an original song by a wonderful group. Keep safe. Enjoy!

Love Me When I Don't -- Pentatonix 






No comments:

Post a Comment