Sunday 16 October 2022

9-288 (15/10/22) -- Chain Saw Whine

I woke to chain saw whining for the fifth time in two weeks and the second time in two days. The huge tree has been reduced to much smaller pieces and will become firewood for a neighbour this winter. It made me so sad to see this process. There were more tears. I was awake later than usual last night, so the wake up call happened about 3-4 hours after I'd gotten to sleep. So, tiredness was an unwelcome companion through the day.

I kick-started myself and cooked a pot of red sauce and a batch of peppers and onions. I added some pasta and had a substantial tasty dinner. It is nice to get some foods put back into the freezer. I did some leaf clean up off the porches. The light today was different due to more cloud cover that made the reds and oranges pop on the big maple in the front yard. It is so pretty to see and I can just stand at the front windows and stare to take it all in. I wish I could hold onto those leaves for the gloomier days of winter. It would be a great reminder of the colours that the world will have after the more subdued black and white palette of winter. 

As the main tree that was uprooted by hurricane winds goes through the various stages of removal from the yard, I've felt quite emotional. Watching it being cut into 'manageable' pieces today was very difficult. It reminded me of an Irish folk song that tells the story of a huge tree felled by winds around 1760. While the one I've lived with doesn't have the history or community recognition as the one in the song, I will miss it nonetheless. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Bonny Portmore -- Loreena McKennett





No comments:

Post a Comment