Wednesday 12 October 2022

9-284 (11/10/22) -- Pondering Privilege

Today I finished cleaning the large chest freezer in the basement and repopulated it with items that could be kept. I looks sadly empty. I'm not sure how much I've thrown away in monetary terms. Insurance will cover some of that if it adds up to more than the deductible. The province is providing a $100 benefit for anyone who lost power for over 48 hours. I can say with certainty that I've lost more than that. Now that made me think of my place of privilege since many folks may not be able to have that much food on hand or may not be able to afford insurance. So, I will not complain. I will feel sad at losing some of the wonderful fruits that I prepared and froze that just aren't available again until next summer. <sigh> 

The weather had been fairly kind. It was sunny and warm but with a cool breeze. Frost warning have been part of the forecast for the past week. The next few days will be warmer even into the overnights, so those warning may not be around for a few more days. After that, we will get that first hard killing frost. This is the time of year when people try to delay turning on the heat for as long as possible. It becomes a game of stubbornness -- how long can we wear so many layers of clothing before giving in. That also comes from a place of privilege. 

I chose a song that reminds me of some of the communities in this part of the world. The lyrics are autobiographical from the singer-songwriter. She was an major country star who left this world earlier in the week. My thoughts today reminded me of her story. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Coal miner's Daughter -- Loretta Lynn




No comments:

Post a Comment