Sunday 5 November 2023

10-290 (18/10/23) -- No Screaming

When I went to the mail box today, the sky was blue with next to no clouds. As I walked down the street, I heard birds chirping, but I couldn't recognize the calls. They were close so I took time to pause and look at roof tops to see if the birds were there. Not there. I looked at houses in a 360 degree manner. Still no sightings. Then I looked just above the roof of one unit and there they were -- two of them. Bald eagles. Chattering back and forth. One was riding the thermals way up in the sky. The other was just above the roof tops and flapping wings to fly. They made me feel a moment of peace -- something I needed today. I watched them until they just disappeared -- always chirping and never moving up or down to fly together. 

When back in the house, I checked online to be sure of what I had heard. I discovered that  eagles don't scream like hawks, just make a chirping sound. So, the regional hockey team, the screaming eagles, has a wildly inappropriate name <smile>. And all of those movies and shows that portray eagles with a screaming hawk sound track just aren't right. So, two positives today -- a moment of peace and I learned something new. <smile> 

A song came to mind as I was pondering this sighting today. It seemed fitting on several levels. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

The Eagle and the Hawk -- John Denver

  


No comments:

Post a Comment