Sunday 19 November 2023

10-306 (3/11/23) -- Fun Food Shopping

I was out at a local bakery getting supplies when my phone rang. A friend was out by my new place and was in town nearer to her place. Odd <smile>. She waited for me to get home and we went out to a local farmgate sale -- the place with apple and pear orchards and a large garden. Produce is still coming in after the hard freezes we've had. In fact, cabbage family vegetables taste better -- a bit sweeter -- after a major frost. So, the cabbage, brussels sprouts and such will be ready in the next couple of weeks. My friend ordered a stalk of sprouts for the holiday dinners. I came home with a bunch of apple seconds for my favourite apple sauce recipe. Bosc pears were ready this week, so I have four of these in a bag on the counter. They will ripen over the next few days and be great snacks or desserts. I also got some heirloom reddish pink onions that originate in Italy. They are a bit sweeter and less harsh than a typical red onion. I have a bunch of peppers so will do a pan or two of peppers and onions for my veggie side dishes. These go well with most dinners and are yummy with an egg breakfast. 

We had sun as we drove out to the farm and within a few minutes heavy cloud had filled the sky. We did have a bit of drizzle with flakes expected later in the evening. It was a cold day, so I was glad to have my gloves with me. I dislike this time of year when one has to carry extra clothing and then we will need to wear it all before leaving the house. While shopping, one needs to remove mitts and undo scarves if in the store for a while and then find a place to re-dress when purchases have or have not been made. I feel like the spontaneity of being out and about is compromised with the need for all the extra accoutrements required to protect us from the environment. Had to get that out of my system, though I expect it will rise again over the next few months. <sigh>  

I chose the song today based on the chorus phrases mainly. It seemed to fit the dreariness of the later part of the day. I also picked a cover version to share. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Hazy Shade of Winter -- The Bangles




No comments:

Post a Comment