Monday 20 November 2023

10-314 (11/11/23) -- Time for Remembrance

Today I watched the Remembrance Day ceremonies from the National War Memorial in Ottawa. In front of the memorial is the Tomb of the Unknown. I have been to the ceremonies in person once when visiting my cousin. It was chilly, but moving to be there. The guns off by the river shook the ground we stood on in the middle of the downtown area. That added a lot to the experience. I've laid a poppy on the tomb several times when in town for meetings, since I always make a point of visiting the monuments. On the same trip, my cousin and I visited the National War Museum, which covers the five centuries of various conflicts on what is now Canadian soil and those wars fought abroad and the peace keeping missions overseas. The chronological sections of the museum are very well done. They help to interpret what life for service members must have been like.  The architecture is amazing. Two areas in particular stood out for me. At the end of the displays, there is a window that frames the Peace Tower. I found that very moving. At the front of the museum is the grave marker of the unknown soldier from World War I. A very high narrow window is in the wall across from the grave stone. On November 11 at 11 AM, the sun shines through that window landing directly on the stone. A very nice way to pay tribute to this sacrifice. 

One speaker asked that we 'celebrate difference rather than exclusion'. That is something that we should all ponder. I believe our differences provide strength, as did this speaker. 

I chose a favourite song for remembrance. It is written and performed by a group from Newfoundland and Labrador -- a dominion who lost most of a generation in a single battle at Beaumont Hamel in 1916. Now, this province remembers those lost in battle on July 1 in the morning, and celebrate Canada Day in the afternoon. The Rooms museum has a fantastic display about those who fought that day -- those who came home and those who didn't. A trail of blue forget-me-nots leads the way to that display area. 

I will Sing You Home -- Ennis Sisters 




No comments:

Post a Comment