Wednesday 29 November 2023

10-328 (25/11/23) -- Changing Rhythms

I've been working at establishing a new routine for some time now. I had one and then the packing began and now the unpacking seems to have halted. Getting used to a new space with different ways to get where I need to go has been a challenge in and of itself. Add the need to get boxes up onto storage shelves in the garage so the car can be inside during the worst of sinter and I feel overwhelmed. The loss of a major social support in my best friend and I feel I've come to a total stop. 

When I listened to an interview with Geddy Lee the other day, he spoke of his take on why the band didn't have a string of number one hits. He said it was likely due to the fact that the songs were "rhythmically challenging" -- they weren't the type of song the audience could clap along to. He also spoke to how one can measure success. In his view instead of the number of hit songs, he focused on improving self and skills. To him, it wasn't all about money or external recognition. 

Both of these points struck me as profound. With all the life changes I've encountered in the past 4+ months, the rhythms have been challenged. It doesn't make them wrong, just 'challenging' to feel comfortable with them.  I may need to reflect on things differently to find the successes that occur as I move through the major changes. 

The song shared today took some time to choose. Rush had many songs with multiple time signature changes as well as less commonly used signatures. He suggested one, but I went with a different one that I enjoy for its use of Morse code as well as changing time signatures. No plain old 4/4 time for this band <smile>. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

YYZ -- Rush 



No comments:

Post a Comment