Thursday 30 November 2023

10-332 (29/11/23) -- Interviewing

As I've been thinking through the two writing projects I have on my plate, I keep thinking of the nature of qualitative inquiry. Gathering information involves individual interviews or larger focus group interviews. Archival research of written items or objects can also be used to answer the research question. Of the two projects, one has interviews and the other is archival. 

Interviewing strangers and asking personal questions can be a challenge. The participant must be put at ease. The researcher must use active listening and probing questions to clearly understand what is being said by the participant. It is a skill that is developed over time, though some people have strong skills when they start the research process. Perhaps it is the personality type that the interviewer possesses. 

In a recent interview I heard Geddy Lee speak about a newer project where he interviews famous bassists. The interviewer asked Geddy what he thought of that process, recognizing that he was trying to pull information from the interviewee. Geddy felt getting interesting bits of information from people was a challenge. Yet, he did find the process intriguing. A key may be to be relaxed and find some common ground to help build rapport. I found this discussion to be similar to what I've done as a researcher and as a public health professional. For the latter, I did a monthly interview program for the local cable channel where we highlighted local health initiatives and health professionals. That was fun and helped me to be more relaxed as an interviewer and an interviewee. So -- I had something in common with Geddy Lee <grin>. 

I've often felt that an interview was like a dance. Whether it be a pas de deux or the whole company is involved on stage. It takes practice to develop the trust in each other to make the whole thing work. While I often use a ballet metaphor, today the selection goes in an entirely different direction. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Shall We Dance -- Yul Brenner & Deborah Kerr from the King and I 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment